6 Plumbing Features for Enhanced Bathroom Accessibility
Transforming your bathroom to enhance accessibility contributes to a safer and more secure living environment. While traditional modifications like ramps and wider doors are essential, plumbing features tailored to address strength and mobility challenges play a crucial role.
At VIP Access, our team collaborates with Occupational Therapists to evaluate your unique needs and recommend personalised adjustments.
Accessible Height/Over Height Toilets:
Standard toilets can pose difficulties for individuals with strength or mobility issues. VIP Access provides assorted options to make toilet use safer:
- Toilet Seat Raiser: Toilet seat raisers can help make the process easy by elevating the height of the toilet seat to reduce the effort required to sit down. As such, these aids make transferring on and off the toilet, and using it, simpler.
- Toilet Plinth: A platform elevating the overall height of the toilet pan to suit the user’s requirements.
- Raised Toilet Seat with Handles: For added stability, these Toilet Seat Raisers features swing up and back arms and is height adjustable. They Fit most standard toilets.
- Bidet Seats: Enhance hygiene and reduce the risk of falls by simplifying the cleaning process.
Hose and Rail Shower System:
Traditional shower setups may not suffice for those with mobility challenges. VIP Access recommends an adjustable showerhead on a hose, along with a sturdy grab rail, to facilitate safer and more comfortable showering. The hose allows for free movement, reducing the risk of strain or unsafe positioning in the shower.
Turning on water becomes a challenge for individuals with weakened grip or strength issues. Lever taps provide an easy solution, requiring a simple press or push instead of multiple turns, making water access more manageable.
Thermostatic Mixer Valves:
Maintaining consistent water temperature is crucial for safety in all aged care & disability bathrooms. VIP Access suggests thermostatic systems to prevent fluctuating temperatures, reducing the risk of scalding during showers or handwashing.
Accessible Vanities and Sink Basins:
Traditional vanities and sinks may pose challenges for those with mobility issues. VIP Access recommends:
- Optimal Wheelchair-accessible heights and clearance space underneath the sink.
- Open vanities and easy-to-maintain surfaces.
- Levers instead of knobs for effortless operation.
- Consideration of semi-recessed wall-mounted mirrors and optimal lighting placement.
Universal Design and Home Modification:
VIP Access specialises in universal design to ensure your home remains aesthetically pleasing while meeting mobility needs. Our experienced team, in collaboration with Occupational Therapists, listen to your preferences and tailors’ modifications to enhance safety and independence.
If you or a loved one faces challenges with bathroom fixtures, do not hesitate to reach out to VIP Access. Our home modification experts have a proven record of helping individuals with diverse mobility challenges achieve safer independence through thoughtful and personalised modifications.